Thursday, November 23, 2023

Fall Pop-up Vase Card


Hello! Welcome back to my blog. Happy Thanksgiving to you, all. I created this a while back but didn't get to post it until now. 

I created a similar project in the past; a smaller version for Mother's Day (Pop-Up Vase Card), and a slightly larger version for a special birthday girl (Pop-Up Vase Card and Mini Note Card). For today's project, I challenged myself to create a pop-up vase card using a larger floral stamp which will need a larger vase. I would like to thank Crystal Best for her very helpful tutorial specifically in sharing the paper size needed to create the vase and also where to score the trimmed cardstock. 

I used the Scrapbook & Cards Let's Stamp Together January 2022 kit to create the flowers and the leaves.

I stamped the solid flower on white cardstock. Instead of doing an ink to stamp technique, I used a blending brush to apply the ink to the solid stamp. I am using the Misti Stamping Tool which is a must for this kind of inking. Blending the ink to the stamp gives a softer look to the image. Depending on how juicy your ink pad is, you might have to re-stamp the image a couple of times. I used two shades of ink color per image. I blended the lighter color first before the darker one. I die cut the flowers using the coordinating die. 

To save time in die cutting, I placed a dot on a prominent part of the flower die using a permanent marker. I marked this spot on the  plastic film that comes with the stamp making sure that this dot matches the dotted spot on the metal die. 


For the floral centers, I blended the ink on white cardstock using the same ink I used on the flowers. I added the details by adding embossing paste over the stencil. Since the flower centers have small holes, it might be tedious to add the paste. Lifting the stencil somehow distorts the details. The trick to preventing this is to wipe off any excess embossing paste on the reverse side of the stencil before doing another floral center. This prevents the stencil from sticking to the paper.

After I applied the embossing paste, I poured Ranger Copper embossing powder to the embossing paste. I set this aside to dry before heat setting it. The embossing paste gives the embossing powder more dimension. I die cut the flower centers using the coordinating die. The die is also something you can fiddle with to find the perfect alignment with the floral center details but I don't think this matters a lot.

I layered the flower centers with extra die cuts for more dimension. I inked the edges to hide the white edge of the floral center. I adhered this to the center of the flower.

I worked on the leaves using the same inking technique. I die cut the leaves using the coordinating die.

For the flower stems, I used the Lawn Fawn Slide on Over die set. Who said these can only be used for sliders? I die cut the four long slider dies on brown cardstock, cutting doubles so I can layer these stems to give it some stability. I adhered this to the back of the flowers. To give it a finished look, I adhered another white floral die cut to the back of the flower. 

I trimmed a kraft cardstock for the vase using the dimensions mentioned by Crystal in her video. I assembled the vase per Crytal's tutorial.

I started building my floral arrangement starting from the front and slowly increasing the height of the flowers. I was trying to limit the height of the flowers and the vase to 6", just like Crystal's, but I forgot that my vase has a wider width when flattened. I just need to make a customized envelope for this pop-up card to accommodate its size.

Adding the stemmed flowers is a messy, sticky job. I just eyeballed where I apply the liquid glue to the stem. Sometimes, the spot is not right so I have to add more glue leaving some glue residue to the area. Sometimes, the flower falls off so I have to re-glue the stem. Even my craft tweezers got glue all over it. Anyway, despite this mess, I think the end product is truly worth it. Good thing that I did not made any gluey mess on the flowers. 

Adhering the leaves is the next challenge since you only put a dot of glue to the tip of the leaf and adhere it to the back of the stem. 

Good thing that I delayed adding the vase details until after all the glueing is done. I was able to hide any adhesive mess underneath the rectangle details on the vase.

For the vase, I just trimmed an orange plaid patterned paper. I also doubled this with a light weight scrap cardstock. I inked the edges to give it a rustic look and hide the white core of the paper I used for layering.


For the sentiment, I heat embossed the sentiment stamp included in the kit on a woodgrain patterned paper. I adhered this to a kraft cardstock and used a craft knife to cut this into a rectangle. 

For the stick that holds the sentiment, I die cut this using a straw die from the My Favorite Things Mason Jar Mug die set. Yes, you read it right. I used a straw die to cut this out. You can also just trim a strip of cardstock if you don't have a die like this, or you can use a slim popsicle stick.

I also cut doubles of the straw so I can layer it to make it sturdy. I adhered the sentiment to this and adhered this to the vase. 

I hope you like today's project. I am thankful for your time in visiting my blog. Have a blessed, brilliant and creative day!

Maria Giselle B.

I am sharing this creation at

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a cool project! Thanks so much for joining us at The Paper Funday Challenge! Rachel DT

    ReplyDelete