Interactive cards are such a joy to receive and also create. I challenged myself to create an interlocking card using some Paper Smooches supplies I have at hand.
I started off by creating a tri-fold card. I scored an 11" x 4 1/4" cardstock at 2 1/16" & 8 15/16" or to make it easy, rotate the card and score it at 2 1/16". I adhered a slightly smaller patterned paper and leave a small white border around the front folds. I embossed the outer ends of this patterned paper with Lawn Fawn Stitched Borders. I like to line the impressions to prevent doubling. Despite my planning, I ended with a jagged edge. I didn't want to waste the paper, plus, I liked the look it created so I trimmed a sliver off the edges to re-create this jagged look. Let's just say this was a happy accident.
I am using the PS Rainbow die to create the interlocking mechanism of the card. I colored each layer using Tim Holtz Distress Crayons. It is my first time to play with these crayons. So far, I like the creamy texture of it.
The PS Rainbow die cuts 6 layers of the rainbow, no solid piece. I traced the die on a piece of cardstock and cut this to create a solid piece that will be adhered to the back of the rainbow layers to make it sturdy. I had to divide the 6 layers into 2 groups and trace this grouping onto the solid rainbow piece. I cut on this line. I adhered this to the back of the 2 groupings of rainbow layers, the top 3 and the bottom 3.
I stamped the clouds from PS Spectrum stamp set on vellum using Versamark ink. I mirror stamped the cloud using the Misti Tool. I embossed these images using Wow! Pearl White embossing powder. I also sprtiz a white pearl Prima Color Bloom on these clouds. I dried it very briefly with the heat gun to control the warping of the vellum. I fuzzy cut these clouds.
Here is where the interlocking mechanism gets created. I adhered the top rainbow layer to the top fold and the bottom rainbow layer to the bottom fold. I used Tombow Extreme adhesive to make sure the mechanism elements will not fail. I applied adhesive to the top part of the top rainbow and to the ends of the bottom rainbow, making sure that there is only adhesive where the rainbow and the card base come in contact.
I adhered the vellum to the bottom of the rainbows. I just dab some glue on areas where there is embossing on the front to hide the glue.
I also did mirror stamping with the bird stamp from the PS Woofers & Tweeters stamp set. This time, I had difficulty stamping the mirror image using the Misti Tool and Versafine ink. Despite multiple attempts, I cannot get a crisp mirror impression of the bird. I embossed this image with black embossing powder over Versafine ink just to make the lines crisp. I colored the birds with TH Distress Crayons and fuzzy cut it.
For the sentiment, I used the rainbow die as a guide to curve this one line sentiment from PS Sentiment Sampler. I embossed this with Wow! Platinum Sparkle powder. I adhered the birds with foam tape. I applied clear of Wink of Stella to the birds. I adhered some Pretty Pink Posh sequins as added embellishment.
Here is a short clip showing how the interlocking rainbow works.
Thanks for viewing my blog. Have a blessed & brilliant day!
Maria Giselle B.