Wednesday, September 30, 2026

A Collection of Cross Stitching on Paper, Volume 2


Pattern: Stars & Stripes
CrossStitcher Magazine, July 2026 edition
I did spotlight and repetetive stitching on the sampler. I chose this quilt like pattern from the sampler and repeatedly stitched it to fill a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" carstock panel. I made a shadow box for this to put it up for display, Stitched Panel in Shadow Box Stand-up Frame.



Pattern: Christmas Classics, Poinsettia & Baubles
Ultimate Cross Stitch Cards
I modified the color of floss for the backstitch of the poinsettia. I had hard time seeing the outlines using a red floss. I have changed the color 5 times. I even used the darkest red floss in my stash but it was still a no go. I used black embroidery floss instead. Stitching the outlines takes a longer time but it is definitely worth it.


Pattern: Blooming Beauty
CrossStitcher Magazine, Issue 424, July 2025
I did spotlight stitching on this large floral cross stitching pattern. I stitched on light blue cardstock. I posted this during World Cross Stitch Day.


Pattern: Pumpkin Patch by Susan Bates
The World of Cross Stitching Magazine, Issue 376, October 2026

Takeaways doing this project:
  • This is a large pattern in which I did spotlight stitching. I made the cat the focal point of my stitching without giving consideration to the girl on the pattern.
  • I figured a way to knot the single skein for the straight stitch. After threading the floss through the needle, have the two ends meet and knot it together. Cut off one of the flosses from the knot. Cut any excess from the knot. Someone must have known this before I did but it is a timesaver in adding a knot to the floss when doing the straight stitch.
  • If in doubt about the backstitching, take reference on the stitched photo sampler of the pattern. You might see discrepancies with your stitching and that's ok. Unless it totally obscures the image, nobody would know that you did not follow the pattern.
  • I was using a tiny sewing needle for backstitching since I am stitching on paper. The small pointed edge of the needle keeps the paper from ripping especially with those backstitches that had to be made on the center of a square. 
  • In case you do rip your paper, apply a piece of tape on the back to keep the paper and any stitching together.


Pattern: Pumpkin Patch Plaid by DH Morris
Just CrossStitch Magazine, Volume 44, Number 4, Autumn 2026
I stitched only one pumpkin out of the three pumpkins in the pattern. I used an 80lb colored cardstock. I have used an 80lb cardstock to stitch on but this brand of cardstock, despite having the same weight, is softer and very prone to ripping. I changed to a smaller needle to have a bit of control over this. This is a very easy pattern since it only used two colos of embroidery floss and no straight stitch needed.



Supplies used unless specified:
80lb cardstock
Altenew Cross Stitch Canvas Die
DMC embroidery floss



No comments:

Post a Comment