Thursday, October 1, 2026

Something New, Something Old: Monochromatic Card

 


Hello! Welcome back to my blog. It is the first of the month. It is time for a new challenge @ Stick It Down Scrapbook and Card Making Challenge on FB. Joining is very easy. Just create a new project following this month's sketch. It can either be a single scrapbook layout, a double page scrapbook layout or a card. Choose one or choose all. 

For my card, I mixed new items and old items from my craft stash. For the new item, I used the Paper Rose Mistletoe Market. This collection has a green, black and white color scheme giving it a monochromatic look, something new and different.

For the old item, I used the Honey Bee Loads of Holiday Cheer stamp and die sets. I have used this set before. Time to use it again.

I die cut one of the patterned papers using the tree die. I stamped the tree on this die cut using a clear embossing ink. I poured black glittered embossing powder to the sticky ink then heat set it. I die cut two more trees on the same patterned paper and on a green cardstock. The tree will take the heart's place on the sketch.

For the wave of hearts, I die cut the string of lights on white cardstock. I recommend die cutting before stamping to get the best match. After die cuttting the string of lights, I positioned the stamp on the negative cut and picked this up with the acrylic block. I pieced the die cut on the negative cut to hold it in place for stamping. I prepped the die cut with an antistatic powder tool. I stamped the lights using black pigment ink. I poured black embossing powder to the pigment ink then heat set it. 

I colored the lights with green and silver gel pens. 


For the background panel, I used a green cardstock cut at 5 1/2" x 4 1/4". To add interest to this background, I used the discontinued Pinkfresh Studio Happiness Collection Decorative Frames Press Plate on the Spellbinders BetterPress Letterpress machine. I used an Altenew Green Opal Fresh Dye Ink for inking for a tone on tone effect. I added a thin cardboard to add more pressure. It looked really great!

I used the checkered scraps from the paper pack and die cut this using an Avery Elle slope die. 

I die cut a stripe patterned paper scrap using a die from the Hero Arts Wood Frame Infinity Dies to create the tree trunk. I adhered this to the back of the tree. I then adhered the green tree die cut and the extra patterned paper die cut off setting it to add the look of volume.

I adhered the slope to the letterpressed panel which is my take on the bottom portion of the sketch.

I adhered the string lights after using the position of the tree as reference. This is my take on the card sketch's wave of hearts.

I adhered the tree. I added a silver star sequin on the top of the tree. I covered the sequin hole with a green gem.


I added white gel pen details and glaze pen details to the lights. 

I adhered one of the Paper Rose Studio Embossed Die Cuts on the tree for the sentiment portion of the sketch.


I hope my card inspired you to create and join this month's SID challenge. Please check the FB post to see the rest of the sketches.

Have a blessed, brilliant and creative day!

Maria Giselle B.






No comments:

Post a Comment