Tuesday, September 1, 2026

One Layer Card with Masking, Ink Blending and Embossing with a Cutting Die

 


Hello! Welcome back to my blog. It is the first of the month. It is time for a new challenge @Stick It Down Scrapbook and Card Making Challenge on FB. Joining is very easy. Just create a new project following this month's sketch. It can either be a single scrapbook layout, a double page scrapbook layout or a card. Choose one or choose all!

This month's card sketch seems intimidating specifically the design on the center which is the focal point. I was in the process of recreating the focal point but went another route after watching a card making video by Kristina Werner. Instead of the overlapping curves, I went for straight lines.

I used Tim Holtz Distress Oxides for the ink. I used Post-it Tape to mask the front panel of the card and create triangular areas to blend the ink on. I used Tim Holtz Distress blending foam on applying the colors. 

I stamped the bottom part of the design with a My Favorite Things background stamp. I intentionally did not stamp this background well and if I am going ro redo this card, I would have done a second generation stamping to make the text lighter in color.

The main and sub-sentiment are from a Pinkfresh Studio stamp set. I used oxide inks on all of the stamping. Not the ideal choice of ink in stamping sentiments but I like the chalky vibe of the oxides.


To add the curved lines of the sketch to my card, I embossed a curved stitch die over the blended inks.  I used a curved border cutting die from Lawn Fawn. I placed an embossing mat underneath the cardstock to add the impression of the stitched curves. 


Since I embossed four curves on the inked area individually, I noticed that each time I pass the card through the die cutting machine, the previously embossed lines are sort of flattened but it's ok.


I hope my card inspired you to join this month's SID challenge. Please check the FB post to see the rest of the sketches. 

Have a blessed, brilliant and creative day!

Maria Giselle B.




No comments:

Post a Comment