Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Color Inspired Shaker Birthday Card

Hello. Welcome back to my blog. Several blog challenges inspired me to create this card. These blog challenges are linked at the end of this post.

The balloon frame was watercolored using a stitched scallop circle die from Pretty Pink Posh. I applied orange Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolor to a watercolor paper. Once this has dried, I applied a coat of Coliro watercolor as a second coating for a bit of shimmer. I did the watercoloring before the die cutting. You can also do the other way around.

Using a slightly larger circle die, I die cut a window on a slate cardstock. I flicked some orange Coliro watercolor to this windowed panel. I adhered an acetate to the back side of this window panel. I adhered the scalloped circle frame to the front. For the tip portion of the balloon, I created this using a stitched polygon die. I partially die cut the polygon this since I needed only half of it to complete the balloon design. I ran this through the die cutting machine again to add the stitching detail to the end part of the balloon.

For the shaker portion of the card, I adhered foam strips to the back portion of the panel, lining the circle acetate window to create a well. I pre-treated the sides of the foam with a powder tool. I poured clear sequins to this well. 

I trimmed a white cardstock larger than the circle window. I adhered some of the clear sequins to this panel. After the glue has dried, I adhered this panel to the foam adhesive to seal the shaker window. The shakers I used are from Pretty Pink Posh.

Working on the front of the card, I smooshed the Tim Holtz Hickory Smoke Distress Oxide ink on my palette. I spritz this with water. I applied this pigment to a watercolor paper. I applied several coats of the pigment to the watercolor paper. I die cut the sentiment to this watercolored paper. I also die cut this sentiment on scrap cardstock. The sentiment die is from Simon Says Stamp. I stacked the sentiment die cuts by adhering the colored cardstock on the back of the watercolored sentiment die cut. I added some Ranger glitter to parts of the sentiment die cut for a bit of sparkle.

For the subsentiment, I stamped this on white cardstock using an orange dye ink. I die cut this into a strip using a sentiment strip die. I also die cut an extra strip and adhered it to the back of the sentiment strip die cut. 

I adhered the sentiments to the acetate.

I added a string and bow to the balloon using a twine.

I added more adhesive foam to back of the panel before adhering this a top folding A2 note card.


Thank you for stopping by. Have a blessed, brilliant and creative day!

Maria Giselle B.

I am sharing this creation at



1 comment:

  1. I really love your balloon shaker, Maria! I love that you used the smooshing technique for the outline of your balloon and I love that parts of the sentiment are glittery too! Thanks for sharing with us at Color Hues!

    ReplyDelete