Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Color Inspired Card

 

Hello! Welcome back to my blog. I had the opportunity last night to attend a virtual Altenew crafting class by Traci Starkweather. I rarely attend these classes because of scheduling conflicts. Mosf of the classes happen on a Saturday when I am asleep from and going back to a night shift. 

The class is called "All About You." We are asked to think of a person to whom we would like to create the card for. I created a card with Alex Eala in mind, especially her green tennis outfit that she wore on her first ever WTA singles trophy on August 3 at DC. I call it the 'Milo' green because of how its shade of green reminds me of the Milo drink.

The stamp I used is from the Altenew Striped Florals stamp set. I repeatedly stamped the flower on a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" white cardstock. I rotated the stamp after each stamping to create variation. I used VersaFine Clair Nocturne ink pad in stamping. I colored the flowers using green Copic markers. I also colored the background with Copic markers. I was going for a cream background but it looked more like a yellowish cream which is was not too bad. After all, Alex wore a yellow dress on her formal pictorials after she won.


The great thing about attending live crafting classes is the interaction between the crafters. You can also ask questions and get immediate feedback not only from instructor but also from the other attendees. Although I am not a talker myself, Traci made it a point to include me in the conversation by asking me questions and how I am progressing with my project.

Since I shared to the class the reason behind my color choice, Traci suggested to use love for the sentiment. Although, love has a negative connotation in tennis since it means a score of zero, a lot of Filipinos, including myself, is supporting Alex. To make it more playful, I used the letter u instead of the word you to complete the sentiment. 

I die cut the sentiments twice on a green cardstock and once on a green mirror cardstock. The sentiment dies I used are from the Altenew Timeless Sentiments 2 die set. I did some die cut surgery to create the u from the word you. I stacked the sentiment die cuts with the mirror die cut on the top for some dimension. 

I feel something was lacking with my colored panel. I tried stamping bubbles and dots using white pigment ink (you might notice this on the top portion of the panel) but I did not like how it looked. I added white dots to the flowers but something is still missing. Someone suggested to splatter ink which I bravely did using a green Coliro Mica paint. That was very helpful. I wish I remembered her name so I can give her a shout out.

I trimmed my panel to make it into a 4" x 5 1/4" panel. I trimmed a green cardstock at 4 1/4" x 5 1/2".  Using a nesting rectangular die, I die cut this green panel into a frame then adhered it to the back of the colored panel. This allows me to save some cardstock and it also lessens the bulk of the finished card. Nobody will know that underneath the colored panel is a hollow space. 


I adhered the sentiment die cuts to an open space on the colored panel. 


I hope you like today's card. I had fun attending Traci's crafting class.

Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a blessed, brilliant and creative day!

Maria Giselle B.


No comments:

Post a Comment