Thursday, February 11, 2016

Using Negative Die Cuts to Create New Cards


On my previous post, I created a partially die cut card. I didn't want to throw the negative cut created from this step so I created a card with the mission to make use of this and not scrap it.

I was playing with the Hero Arts Floral Stamp & Cut by Lia and die cut two hearts using scrap patterned papers. It didn't blend with my previous created card plan. To be one with my mission, I am going to use this die cut hearts, too.

I want to add glitter to the negative die cuts of the heart. To achieve this, I need to use a Scor-Pal double adhesive tape sheet. Peeling one side, I adhered a coordinating card stock to it. Keeping the top release paper, I ran this with the die using the Sizzix Big Shot. Some of the release paper fell off. You can adhere it back. With the help of a kraft knife, carefully lift the release paper, trying to keep the release paper covering the negative spaces adhered. Line up the heart patterned paper die cut and adhere. Use a bone folder to burnish the patterned paper to the double adhesive sheet. I cut off the extra to reveal the heart shape die cut. I lost some of the negative die cut pieces but I didn't worry about it.



Now, it's time to peel off the backing sheet of the negative spaces of the die. I poured Elizabeth Crafts Silk Microfine Glitter in Cool Diamond to these areas. After returning the extra glitter back to the jar, I used my finger to burnish the glitter to the adhesive. To clean up, I used a Swiffer cloth to wipe off the excess glitter.

The card's front panel measures 3.5" x 3.5". I cut a 2 3/4" x 3.5" black card stock. I dry embossed this using We R Memory Keepers Next Level Embossing Folder Gemstone. I added a thin cardboard to act as a shim to make the impression deeper. I didn't think the impression was deep enough on the first card (with the reddish/pink glitter) but I decided to keep it as is. It is totally up to you if you want to add a cardboard or not.

My card base is a top folding white note card, cut at 7" x 3.5" and scored at 3.5". I adhered the embossed panel flushed to the left of the note card. I adhered the negative die cut flushed to the right of the note card. I added detail to this part of the lay-out by running it through my Big Shot using a Lawn Fawn Square Stitched Stackable Die for added detail to the edge. I adhered the heart die cut using foam adhesive, piecing it to the negative die cut.

For the sentiment, I embossed the sentiment from the Hero Arts Handmade Kindness stamp set on a strip of black cardstock using white powder. I cut a fish tail on both ends. I also colored in the the spaces on the letters with a white color pencil for added detail. I adhered this to the center of the heart.

For a last detail, I randomly squirted some Viva Decor Pearl Pen in Pastel Rose to create dots that will mimic enamel dots.



Thanks for viewing my blog. Have a brilliant day!

Maria Giselle B.

I am submitting this creation to:

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely GORGEOUS! Love the technique and all of that glittery goodness! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Mod Squad Challenge Donna, Challenge Host.

    ReplyDelete