Sunday, February 14, 2016

Car Shaped Birthday Card

 

It's my youngest son's birthday last February 9. He loves Hot Wheel cars. This and making a kid friendly card inspired me to create this card. This cut is from the Cricut Boys Will Be Boys cartridge. I cut the car twice at 6.5". I cut the layer at 6.5" making sure it is set at relative cut. But unfortunately, after this cut, my Cricut Imagine stopped cutting the next images. The mat will feed but the blade will just go back and forth, from left to right, on either the bottom or upper right corner, and spit the mat. I hate to admit it but I think my Cricut Imagine finally retired.

So, I had to innovate from here on since I still need cuts for the headlight, front bumper, door handle and wheels. I used an MFT Circle stacks to cut the wheels. I just traced the other elements onto the colored card stock that I will be using and just hand cut it.

I adhered the elements onto the first car base, cutting any excess on the edges. This is something I noticed on my Cricut cuts lately that even if it was cut at relative size, the cuts don't match.

I am trying out a newly purchased item, Judikins Embossable Plastic Film. I embossed the greeting using Mama Elephant Inline Letters and Hampton Arts Doodlebug Designs Inc. You Said It stamp sets. I used Versamark ink to stamp the sentiment being careful not to shift the acrylic block during stamping. I used WOW! Blue Topaz embossing powder. I custom cut the acetate to fit the driver's window.


For the passenger's window, Ryan loves to look out and also loves Panda bears. I stamped a panda from the Mama Elephant Pandamonium stamp set using Versafine Black Onyx ink. I added details to the panda by using Copic and Uni-Ball Signo white. I don't have the coordinating die for the ME Pandamonium, so I fuzzy cut the panda bear. If I had the coordinating die, I would have cut two panda bears, using one of it to cover the ink bleed caused by coloring the panda with the Copic marker.

I also punch a vellum circle and heat embossed the number 4 (Ryan's age) using the same colored embossing powder. I hand cut a small triangle to serve as the tip of the balloon. I tied a bow using Lawn Fawn Trimmings in Silver Sparkle. I adhered this to the balloon where the circle and the triangle would meet. I adhered another twine to the back of the balloon, and adhered one tip to the hand of the panda bear, like the panda bear is holding the balloon. I applied liquid glue to the panda bear and the balloon, to areas that will not show through the window. I sandwiched the balloon and panda bear with two acetates.

After I adhered the acetates, I adhered the second piece of the card onto the back to sandwich the acetates and keep the back clean.

I am glad my son loved his birthday card.


Thanks for viewing my blog. Have a brilliant day!

Maria Giselle B.

No comments:

Post a Comment