Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Shaker Wedding Card


I created this card with a snow globe as an inspiration. After watching Laura Bassen's video tutorial (http://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/blog/meowy-christmas/) , I got an idea based on the partial die cutting of the circle on her card to use this technique in creating the shaker snow globe. I don't have a snow globe die. This sure is a way to stretch your dies. I used an Ellen Hutson woodgrain cardstock for this.

I also utilized my Cricut cartridges to create the base of the snow globe. I used the Create A Critter cartridge, with the image being the platform of the seal. I cut off the top portion of the platform which I saved for later use. Since this was cut with tick marks for layering, I flipped the die cut to use the back side wherein the tick marks are not so heavy.

Working on the base card, I traced the partial circle onto a white note card. This will let me know where to blend my inks which will be the background of the snow globe. I stamped the groom and the bride initially onto the base card using Studio Calico I Do! by Kelly Purkey. Instead of paper masking these images for ink blending, I applied Molotow mask to it. After I blended the colors, I was upset to find out that the Molotow mask stained the stamped images blue. Instead or starting all over again, I stamped the bride & groom onto a white cardstock, then fuzzy cut it. I adhered this with foam tape directly on top of the blue tinged stamped images. I also added some details to the bride & groom's clothing. I also die cut a blue heart and adhered this on the middle of the couple, sort of like they are holding the heart with one hand each. I applied glitter to the heart and Glossy Accent.

Now, it's time to work on the shaker. I adhered a clear plastic to the back of the woodgrain windowed cardstock. I ran a dryer sheet on the back side of this. I applied foam adhesives around the window, doubling this up since my bride & groom are raised by one layer of foam. I always make the mistake of putting the shaker elements to the plastic film when it should be the other way around. Pour the shaker elements to the base card, then adhere the shaker window panel on top of it.

Working on the base of the snow globe which was cut on gray cardstock, I trimmed the sides of the platform to make it match the snow globe window. I sponged the ends of the cardstock with Tim Holtz Distress Marker in Black Soot. I stamped the Congratulations sentiment, also from the same stamp set, by first, curving the sentiment, with the help of the die cut platform, onto a plastic film (the one that comes with the stamp sets.) I picked up this curved sentiment with an acrylic block. I applied anti-stick powder to the portion of the platform I cut earlier. Then I stamped  the sentiment using Versamark ink. I embossed this using white embossing powder. I trimmed this by tracing the platform onto it to create the same curve as the platform and stamped sentiment. I sponged this using the same Tim Holtz ink but I made it darker than the platform. I buffed the embossed sentiment with a rag to remove the black ink. The platform was adhered flushed to the window while the sentiment was adhered using foam adhesive.

As a finishing touch, which I should have done first before adhering the acetate and the platform, I splattered Prima Color Blooms in Storm Cloud. I just covered the acetate and the platform using a scratch piece of cardstock. I dabbed the excess using a rag.

Thanks for viewing my blog.

Maria Giselle B.

No comments:

Post a Comment