Thursday, January 5, 2023

A Die Cut from Background Die Cut

Hello! Welcome back to my blog. Today's post features a technique in which you die cut another die cut. If this sounds confusing, I'll explain it as we go along. Please bear with me. 

I die cut a light blue cardstock using the Kat Scrappiness Buffalo Plaid Background die. I did selective die cutting since I won't be using the whole panel. I adhered this to a light gray cardstock. From this, I die cut a banner using a die from the KS Fishtail Banners die set. I did partial die cutting so I can extend the length of the banner. I also strategically positioned the banner die so the pattern will be centered on the banner. Depending on how good you adhered the plaid die cut to the solid gray cardstock, some of the vented die cuts fell off. I am not worrying about this since it is hardly noticeable. This is what I meant with die cutting from another die cut.

For the main card panel, I die cut the plaid background on dark blue cardstock. I adhered this to a dark gray cardstock. 

For the main focus of the card, I die cut a reindeer from the KS Reindeer Duo dies on a blue patterned paper. I also die cut the reindeer on black cardstock. I adhered the black reindeer die cut to the back of the patterned paper die cut for some dimension.

For the sentiment, I stamped this on the same dark gray cardstock I used for the card panel. I used a dark blue dye ink for stamping. I die cut this into a strip using a sentiment strip die. I die cut several more strips. The sentiment comes as a phrase. I want the words separated so I cut the phrase in between each word. To create this into a chipboard like embellishment, I adhered the strips on top of the other. I adhered one word at a time. I cut this using scissors. I repeated this process until all the words were done and separated. To step this up, I pounced the word strips to a sticky ink pad, then poured Wow! Ultra High Clear embossing powder to it and heat set it. I repeated this twice to make it smoother.

I adhered the word strips to the top right corner of the light blue banner. I adhered the reindeer next. I added foam adhesive to the back and adhered this to the center of the dark blue-gray plaid panel. 

I hope you give this technique a try. This extends the use of large die cuts by creating smaller die cuts from it.

Have a blessed, brilliant and creative day!

Maria Giselle B.

I added below the links to the Kat Scrappiness products I used on this card. There will be no additional cost to you should you decide to purchase a product. While you are at the Kat Scrappiness website, do check out their wide array of products especially the exclusive Kat Scrappiness products. 

I am sharing this creation at








2 comments:

  1. Such a great manly card. Thanks for sharing your work with us on the AAA Birthday Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great card..
    Thank you so much for joining in at Aaa birthday challenge.. Stay safe n stay crafty..
    Swapna

    ReplyDelete