Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Faux Stained Glass Slimline Card

 

Hello! Welcome back to my blog. I created another one for three card. What that means is I mash up three challenges and create one card. All these three challenges are mentioned at the end of the post with the corresponding links, just in case you want to check out the challenges.

I chose a slimline card because the size of this card fits three windows of the floral window die that I am using on this card. 

I created the stripped panel first. I cut a scrap light weight cardstock at 8 1/2" x 3 1/2". I adhered this to a Stick it Adhesive. I burnished this to remove any bubbles. I trimmed off any excess.

I looked through my stash and pulled out all the red cardstock strips and scrap paper that I can cut into strips. I trimmed the red cardstock scraps into strips. I did this randomly so I have different widths of cardstock. I peeled off a section of the Stick It adhesive and started building my background panel by adhering one strip diagonally at a time until the whole panel is filled. I made sure I butt the paper to the next strip to avoid any white cardstock showing thru in between the strips. In hindsight, if I do this again, I should have used a red cardstock instead of white cardstock so I don't have to worry about the color showing through.

I added details to the strips with an Ellen Hutson Stitching Lines die.

On an 8 1/2" x 3 1/2" scrap paper, I created a template with three square windows. I used this as a guide to cut the windows on the red stripped panel. I taped the template to the red panel. I positioned the square die to each window, then run this through the die cut machine. The floral square die I used is the Pinkfresh Studio Floral Squares die set.

For the card base, I trimmed a heavyweight cardstock at 8 1/2" x 7". I scored at 3 1/2" from the long side. Since my die cut machine is not wide enough to accomodate a 7" wide cardstock, I used a craft knife to create the windows. I positioned the template on the front of the card base. I secured this with a tape. I traced the windows with a pencil. I used these traced lines as a guide to create the windows using the craft knife. 

Working on the windows, I adhered a clear shelf liner on an acetate. Yes you read it right, a shelf liner. Although it is not really clear compared to the acetate, this actually makes the stain glass effect even better. I trimmed the shelf liner into squares that is a little bit larger than the windows of the panel.

I popped back one of the scrap die cuts on the window. This will serve as a guide to coloring the shelf liner. I then temporarily taped the shelf liner lined acetate on top of this. I colored the shelf liner with Copic markers. 

I die cut several more pieces of the floral squares, six from white cardstock and 3 from holographic cardstock. I pieced in the white floral square die cuts to the red stripped panel. I adhered this on the back with some skinny tape so that the tape won't show thru the window. I adhered the shelf liner on the back, making sure that I lined colored portion. I adhered this with double sided adhesive. I adhered this to the card base, making sure the windows are aligned. 

I adhered the holographic die cut, lining it up with the white die cut on the front.


For the last 3 pieces of floral square die cut, I snipped off the flower, to create a frame. I adhered this to the inner side of the the card front for a finished look. 

This is where I think I struggled because I just won't stop. I used my shimmer colored pens to add more pigment to the shelf liner windows. It worked great on the flowers, but I did not like the effect on the rest of the window. I wiped off the pigment using an alcohol wipe. It stained the shelf liner with blue which is actually a happy accident for me.

For the sentiment, I stamped this using Stazon ink. The sentiment is from PS My Favorite Things To Say stamp set.


I adhered a lightweight top folding slimline card on the inner back side of the card to serve as a writing place for the personal message. I trimmed off an eight of an inch from the three open sides of the inner notecard before adhering it so it will nicely fit inside the card.

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. Have a blessed, brilliant and creative day!

Maria Giselle B.

I am sharing this creation at



No comments:

Post a Comment