Thursday, August 4, 2016

WPlus9 Pretty Peonies Card In A Box

I wanted to create a card that I would hopefully see on my manager's desk and my sons' teacher's desks, since school opening is coming up soon. I thought this card in a box is a perfect project for that mission.

When we were on vacation, I brought limited craft supplies. It includes 2 stamp sets (both layering stamp sets), 6 regular sized ink pads, 3 mini cube ink pads (which I think is great for traveling), cardstock, 3 acrylic blocks, stamp cleaner (I was going to practice layered stamping), 2 printed digital stamp images, and a marker set. Because of these limited supplies, I was able to practice my layered stamping which I am struggling with. I stamped each image with enough spacing in between so I can die cut these images once I got back home.

The difficulty in die cutting these WPlus9 images is that the die comes as a solid piece unlike other metal dies which comes as an outline, making it easy to line it up with the stamped image. I think, it would have been easier if I die cut the cardstock first, then stamped the image on it to get perfect alignment. Oh, well. Too late for that and I don't want to waste the sheets of stamped images I already made. So I just lined the die to the image to the best that I can. It is not a perfect cut but the artistic touch of the image makes the uneven cut tolerable.

There are lots of tutorials for card in the box online. The one that I find most helpful and easy is from  Narelle created a file in Cricut Design Space for a card in a box which includes the box, the insert, the layers and even an envelope! Just like Narelle, I only cut the box, the insert and the envelope using the CDS file. I used an old Doodlebug Design patterned paper for the layers.

I cut strips of acetate to attach the die cuts to. I used mini-Glue Dots to adhere the die cuts to the acetate. I think the key to creating a card in a box is to have plenty of elements for embellishment. Once I am satisfied with how my card looked, I worked on the sentiment.

If I will recreate this card, I would have not adhered the front tab paper until I have a plan on how to add a sentiment. I would have stamped the sentiment onto this front tab paper then adhered it the front tab. But since everything is adhered. I cut a vellum to heat embossed the sentiment to. To adhere this, I applied dots of liquid glue to the back of the vellum, where the letters are embossed. The sentiment is from Li'l Inker Design Greetings & Salutations stamp set.

For the envelope, I cut a patterned paper bought from Michaels using the file mentioned above. I cut off a bit of the flap to make it even when it is folded. Since I am on the CDS, I went ahead and wrote the recipient's name using Ranger Embossing pen. Yes, it fits in the Cricut Explore. I embossed this with black embossing powder.

Thank you Narelle for sharing a very helpful CDS file! Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a blessed & brilliant day!

Maria Giselle B.

I am sharing this creation to


  1. What an awesome box card Maria! I've only ever made one but didn't think it turned out good enough to be "blog post worthy!" LOL

  2. This is a GIFT in itself! Gorgeous flowers in a box---so creative! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Fabulous Florals” Challenge! Fabulous colors and design. Well done!

  3. Stunning project. Thanks for joining us at Petal Lu, Nicola X

  4. Thank you for sharing your lovely card in a box (plus all the details!) with us at Love To Craft Challenge Blog.