Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Acetate Birthday Card

Hello! I created this card to join the challenges at the My Favorite Things Blog. I am going for another 'one card for three challenges' again. I really enjoy mixing up challenges because it stimulates my creativity. 

I am using my handy dandy Cricut Explore II machine for this card. I sketched my lay-out idea and used the Cricut Design Space to help with the sizing of the image cuts. There is a project icon in CDS that allows you to see how your image cut/s will look like on your chosen project, in this case, I chose a card with a size of 4 1/4" x 5 1/2". 

The balloon cut image is cut together with the balloon string. There is another feature in CDS, the Slice, that allows you to cut a part of the cut image. That is what I did here. I wanted to layer the balloon on the string. I could have just cut the original image cut four times, then snip off the string with scissors, but that is a waste of cardstock since most likely, I will not use the extra string image cut. 

After all the images have been cut...and yes, including that less than an inch letters for the sentiments,  I inked one of the balloons with a soft blue dye ink. I heat set this to dry since I am going to emboss on this balloon. I stamped the MFT Diagonal Stripes cling rubber stamp on the balloon using Versamark ink. I am using the Wow! Lightening Effects for the first time. I mixed the Wow! Primary Blue Topaz embossing powder to the Wow! Glisten and the mix created a glittered embossing powder. It is actually cool. I cannot wait to use the other two Wow! Lightening Effects. 

I blended more ink to the balloon especially to the right of the balloon.

After I decided placement of the balloon, I drew lines on the back of the balloon so I can trim off the excess before adhering the balloon. This is easier compared to adhering the balloon first before trimming. I adhered the string cut then adhered the balloon on the front of a Hero Arts acetate card. I adhered another balloon to the inner front of the card to hide the adhesive, making sure I lined up the balloons. I adhered another balloon to the inner back side of the card so I have an area to write a personal message. Finishing it off with another balloon adhered to the back to cover the adhesive. The trick here is to make sure all balloons are lined up so it looks like one cut image on the front with a surprise inside. The string image cut also has a cover up on the inner front of the card. 

The colors I am using for the card are based on the color inspiration challenge. I created gradient of colors for the sentiment using two different hues of green cardstock. I temporarily adhered the letters to a Post-It Full Adhesive, having half of a letter hanging out and lining this with a T-ruler. I cut off the hanging part using scissors, keeping every cut piece. I adhered the letters to the banner cut. This is the most tedious job among all the steps in creating this card. An easy way to do this is by coloring the cut letter. Cover half of the letter, then color the exposed half of the letter. After which, cover the colored portion, and then color the other half. 

I added Nuvo Aqua Shimmer Glitter Gloss pen to the letters for more sparkle.

I adhered the same banners to the inner card front to hide the adhesive. I added a bowed twine to finish off the card.

Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a blessed, brilliant and creative day!

Maria Giselle B.

I am sharing this creation at


  1. Such a cute card! Love the acetate background and that big, happy balloon!

  2. Very inventive!
    So glad you have shared this with us at 613 Avenue Create.
    Please come back again!
    The best of luck with your entry.
    Jackie, DT member at 613 xx