Scrapbook Factory in O’Fallon, Illinois had a Yard Sale three weekends ago. One of my finds in the yard sale is a set of Marvy Uchida Watercolor Twist Pens which I first saw at Michael’s. It was a very sweet deal to find this at the yard sale. I am using these pens in today’s project. I also watched a video on how these pens are used before I started coloring.
I printed the image on a watercolor paper, printing it as a full page photo. I enjoyed coloring the image that I was coloring it during our drive back home from our Chicago vacation. I used a water brush to blend the colors.
I painted the background black from the Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolor. This is my first time to do something like this. I was nervous that I will mess up the whole page after all the hard work of coloring the images. I was surprised at myself for pulling this through. I was actually using several brushes so I can paint those tight areas. My favorite brush that I used for this project is the Raphael pure squirrel mop brush that I bought from Art Bar in the Philippines. The form of the brush actually works on tight areas.
The downside of painting the background is not achieving a uniform look. I think my mistake here is I applied paint to the middle areas before painting the detailed areas. I think I should have painted a section at a time and started coloring near the image then going farther instead. But with watercolor, this variation adds to the uniqueness of the layout.
After the whole page was colored, I added details using Prismacolor pens. I added dots of Ranger Enamel Accents and Nuvo Drops. I used a black Sakura Enamel pen for the eyes of the critters.
Now, the question is what I do with this colored panel. I can keep it as is, maybe put it on a frame. But I bravely cut it into three sections to come up with three card panels. Crazy, right? With this panel, I created two A2 cards and a long card measuring 3.5” x 8.5”. I created gold strips by rubbing Versamark ink on a white cardstock, and heat embossing this with Wow! Metallic Rich Gold Pale embossing powder. I adhered the strips to the edges of the cards. I adhered fun foams behind the watercolor panels, then adhered it to the base card.
I also added shimmer to the images using Spectrum Noir Clear Shimmer Pen. I could have stopped here but I decided to use a black Wink of Stella. At first, I was just going to use it to add highlights to the cat until I decided to paint over the black background using it. I liked the look on the first card that I colored so I went ahead and colored the rest of the cards. I love how consistent the tint of black color throughout the card. Not to forget, the added shimmer. Coloring the background of the three cards did use most of the black marker's ink. If I can do this all over again, I would have done the re-touch prior to attaching the panel to the card. Now, I have some black streaks on the sides of the card which should be okay. It adds that touch of handmade to the card.
Our challenge for the next two weeks at Incy Wincy Designs is No Words, so I am keeping the cards as is. Should I decide to add a sentiment in the future, I can either die cut or stamp a sentiment on a cardstock and adhere it to the card front. Yrwin, my 6th grader, already asked to have one of these cards for his teacher.
I hope I gave you some inspiration on watercoloring a whole sheet panel and turning this panel into several cards. Please join us in our latest challenge at Incy Wincy. Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a blessed & brilliant day.
Maria Giselle B.
I am sharing this creation at