Friday, May 15, 2015

Chevron Strips Masculine Birthday Card

It is my husband's birthday. Somehow for me, it is tougher to create a masculine card. This week is Picture Perfect challenge at PS Challenge Blog.


What caught my eye in this photo is the chevron pattern of the table. This inspired me to create my own chevron pattern. After all, it has been a while when this pattern was a hit in the crafting world. So, I gathered half an inch strips of paper from my stash. I adhered this to a 5 1/2 x 2 inch scrap sheet of paper as support. Aside from the grid, my cutting mat has diagonal lines which I used as a guide to adhere this strips. I cut the excess strips hanging off the side of the support paper. I used a die to cut and create a stitched impression on the sides making it into a 5 x 2 inch paper. One of the patterned paper strips came with its own greeting 'my father.' I covered the 'my' with stickers to make it to 'our.' I had to trim these stickers to fit the space. I stamped 'to' on the top of this sentiment.

The only embellishment I have that I can come up with is the coffee cup. I stamped this using three different shades of brown to create an ombre patterned cup. I stamped with the lightest shade first. With the middle shade, I wiped off a part of the top of the cup to retain the light shade color. And with the darkest, I just partly inked the bottom and the handle of the cup. I used my stamp positioner for this multi-stamping technique. I fuzzy cut this image. I embossed it with WOW! Ultra High clear powder. I was going for a glazed effect so I embossed the cup twice. You have to make sure your Versamark is juicy before attempting to pour this Ultra High powder to your image. I had to re-ink my Versamark pad so the powder would stick to the image. I also did the same technique with the saucer.

I was going to use a critter to pop out of the cup but I don't have the right sized critter. Since this is a masculine card, I went for the shooting stars. I used mirror stamping using acetate as Jennifer McGuire did in her video (http://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2015/05/video-mirror-stamping-giveaway.html). It reminds me of rub-ons when I did technique. I stamped the stars in vellum. I colored the stars with a glittered yellow marker.


The panels were adhered in kraft cardstock. I adhered the cup with dimensional tape. I adhered the saucer straight on the panel. As for the vellum stars, I put a dot of glue on areas that will be covered by the embossing.


Thanks for viewing my blog.

Maria Giselle B.

Supplies used:
Stamps: Paper Smooches Cyber Cafe, Merry Motifs, Spectrum
Die: Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangle Wafer Dies
Powder: WOW! Clear Gloss Ultra High Embossing Powder, WOW! Blue Topaz Regular Transluscent Embossing Powder, Ranger Liquid Platinum

I am submitting this creation to:








6 comments:

  1. That's a great card! I love that pattern you created and the earth colours. Thank you so much for playing along with us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card! Love what you did with the cup! Thanks for joining us this week at Loves Rubberstamps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool card and great background! Thanks for joining our Loves Rubberstamps challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool card..glad you could join our coffee, tea or favourite beverage challenge this week at Loves Rubberstamps,hope to see you soon again,
    Hugs Blankina

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever and cool design! Love the coffee hues you've used and that glossy finish cup. Very cool design, perfect for our current challenge at Loves Rubberstamps. Thanks so much for joining in the fun with us this week. We're so glad you did. Hugs, Wends x Loves Rubberstamps DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Design! Love the cheveron and shine on the coffee mug! Thanks For playing along with Loves Rubber Stamps this week!
    Tons of Hugs, Dangina

    ReplyDelete