Friday, April 24, 2015

Scribble Your Own Sentiment Watercolored Card

Hello. I am participating in Avery Elle's challenge. I only work around a stamp and a die set when I join their challenges. I always wish I have more stamps to choose from but I got to work with what I have.

For the background, using a watercolor paper, I stamped the paint strip to create a striped background. This was die cut using the curvy metal die. I stamped the cardbase with the same paint strip. I was planning on a tone on tone effect but despite cleaning the stamp, the blue ink stayed on creating gray instead of yellow. I had to clean up the ink pad right away by dabbing a rag on the contaminated spot. 

For this card, I want to extend the use of the die by creating a flower. After die cutting several pieces of watercolor paper which will serve as the petals, I watered each piece, then applied watercolor, allowing the water to move the color. I dabbed off the excess color since I want to create shading with the darkest part at the tip of petal. I heat dry the petal. If I am not happy with the blending, I just water it down, dab and/or add more paint. 

I stamped the sentiment on a watercolor paper. I masked the word birthday because I want to create a mother's day card which is next month. Got to be ready! Plus, I have so many birthday cards stashed in my Creative Cuts box. I stamped this with Tim Holtz Distress Ink Antique Linen so I can watercolor this, too. I used a Wink of Luna Copper to highlight the sentiment. I brushed it on areas I want dark on the sentiment then used a water brush to blend it in. I used a circle die to cut this out. 

I wrote the 'Mother's Day' using the same brush pen since I don't have an Avery Elle sentiment with this message. I practiced on scratch paper before I wrote on the actual piece. I watercolored the edges using the same technique I used with the petals. I spritz this with a Prima Color Bloom in white. I can't really see much effect except on the 'Happy' sentiment. It lightened it but kept the rest of the sentiment crisp. I die cut a slightly larger circle using vellum. I adhered the circled sentiment on the vellum.

The petals are tricky to arrange. It took a couple of rearranging before I got happy with how it looks. After the petals were adhered to the back of the circle, I used a transparent 3D tape to one end of the petal to slightly raise it. The flower was adhered to the panel using foam adhesive. The panel is adhered to the cardbase. 

I added dots of Glossy Accents to create a water droplet effect.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Maria Giselle B.

Supplies used:
Stamp: Avery Elle Brushed Clear
Die: Avery Elle Custom Panel
Ink: Zig Kuretake Gansai Tambi, Tim Holtz Distress Ink Antique Linen, Broken China, Wink of Luna Copper, Hero Arts Shadow Ink Soft Yellow

I am submitting this creation to the following challenge:


  1. What a fun combination! Thanks for joining us at the AEI♥U Challenge!

  2. Very pretty card! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!