I was trying to finish this card for the previous Hero Arts Challenge but my life got so hectic that I did not finish it on time. But I decided to finish off the project since I did scrap about 4 pieces of stamped panels before I came up with this final piece. I was really going to quit the idea after the third try but I just couldn't let go of creating a quilted look out of my old hexagon stamps.
Hexagon became a fad shape a couple of years ago and I am one of those who joined that craze. I am using the Hero Arts Clear Hexagons stamp set for this project. After choosing which die inks I'll be stamping with and after searching the net for a quilted flower pattern, I stamped the striped hexagon stamp onto a white Neenah Solar White card stock. Since I am only using this stamp, I made sure I clean off this stamp in between colors by cleaning it with a baby wipe, then with a dry rag, stamping it off to a scrap paper, then stamping it again onto the scrap paper after inking it with the first color. There is a new product out in the market, the Lawn Fawn Stamp Shammy which you can use to short cut the tedious process I just described. I don't have one and so far, it is sold out at the Lawn Fawn site but I saw a shammy at Michael's, at the art section, if you want to try it out.
For the center of the flower, I flipped the striped hexagon stamp to create a solid hexagon shape. double stamped this to make the color darker & bolder. The key to creating this quilt background is to be sure the image is overlapping each other during stamping. But if you created a gap, no worries. Just stamp the image again.
After I filled up the panel with hexagons, I felt there was still something missing to pop out the flowers. I accented the flowers by using coordinating color pencils and traced a line around the hexagons on the flowers and leaves. I also colored the solid hexagons with Wink of Stella Glitter pen.
This is when I had a difficulty finishing the card that's why I didn't make it to the deadline. I can't find in my stash a Hero Arts sentiment that will stand out in this busy background. Does this happen to you? Anyway, after a night of sleep, I was able to finish the card. I trimmed the panel to 4" x 5 1/4". I haven't broken in the Heidi Swapp Minc Machine I've bought since November.
Using the Heidi Swapp Toner pen, I lined the outer edges of a white card base. I had difficulty using this pen. Somehow the ink, after priming, is not freely flowing in writing a straight line. It will be light in some areas so I had to repeat lining on it again. I also used Lawn Fawn dies, 'Thanks' and 'Thinking of You' to come up with the 'Thank you' sentiment.
I cut a piece from a solid rectangle printed using a laser printer. I got the template from Jennifer McGuire (http://www.jennifermcguireink.com/images/2015/04/Toner-Paper.pdf.) After I die cut the sentiments, I noticed some of toned areas are bare of toner. I used the toner pen to cover-up these areas. I cut a piece of foil larger than the front of the base card. I sandwiched this inside the Minc carrier and fed it thru the machine. I had the heat setting at 4.
I used the same foil to add foil to the sentiments. Depending on how perfectionist you are, I had to run this through the Minc twice since there were areas not foiled. I adhered this to the lower left corner of the panel. I adhered the panel to the foiled card base.
Thanks for viewing my blog. Have a brilliant day!
Maria Giselle B.
I am submitting this creation to the following:
IT'S MY FIRST TIME TO USE THE MINC MACHINE!