Monday, October 3, 2016

Creating Two Cards With Positive & Negative Die Cuts


I've been on the look out for pink snowy background. To each his own, right? I just want to get away from the traditional blue snowy background. Other than that, I wanted to create a plaid pattern for today's digi image. I blended a variety of pink Tim Holtz Distress inks on a Strathmore Bristol paper to create an ombre pattern. I die cut this panel using Pretty Pink Posh Scallop Frames Die.

To create the snow background on the negative cut, I used a Simon Says Stamp Falling Snow Stencil. I applied Hero Arts Unicorn White Pigment ink to the holes using a sponge dauber. I wiped the ink off the stencil and positioned it back on top of the panel, slightly offsetting it. I applied transparent Wendi Vecchi embossing paste to the stencil. I lifted off the stencil and poured Judikins Iridescent Sparkle embossing powder to the panel. I allowed this to dry.

I started working on the digital image. I colored the image with Copics. To create the plaid pattern, I carefully drew lines horizontally and vertically using a dark grey Copic Marker. I then drew lines in between the gray lines using a white Uni-ball Signo Broad pen. After which I drew lines on top of the gray lines using a black Copic Multiliner pen. I also used this to line the outline of the image. I applied clear Wink of Stella to the cap bow and the scarf. I fuzzy cut the image leaving a small margin.


To create the ground, I die cut two scrap white cardstocks using a die from Avery Elle Custom Panels die set. Then, I die cut the bottom edges with the Pretty Pink Posh die I've used earlier just to match things up. I pressed Versamark ink pad to these cuts and poured Wow! Snow Puff embossing powder. This is the first time I've used this powder and I am very impressed on how it can add detail to the scene I am trying to create.

I wanted the borders to be raised. Instead of using foam adhesive, I die cut two more pieces of white cardstock using the PPP die. For contrast, I die cut a Doodlebug patterned paper. This is an old graduation line, The Graduates. Yes! You don't have to stick to a paper line's intended occasion.

To assemble the card, I cut a white cardstock at 4 1/4" x 11" and scored it @ 5 1/2" to create a top folding card. The frame die measures 4"x5". I trimmed 1/4" off the bottom just to leave an equal white border around the frame once I adhere it. I started adhering the layers, starting with the white frame, then working my way up to the embossed snow slopes. I used liquid adhesive to adhere the slopes.


I added the digi image, adhering it with foam adhesive. Even if the snow slopes are just stacked cardstocks, the embossing gave it enough dimension that raised it up a bit. The card is close to being finished at this point. I was unsure if I should put a sentiment on the front or not. I chose not to put a sentiment. I was afraid it will ruin the scene. What do you think? I stamped a sentiment inside, which I rarely do, using a stamp from Mama Elephant Season's Greetings stamp set. I stamped the sentiment using Avery Elle Raspberry pigment ink. I used the Misti Stamping tool to stamped the sentiment repeatedly for a crisp impression. I also stamped some snowflakes from the same set using a silver Hero Arts dye ink.

Well, I am left with scraps that I didn't want to add to my scrap stash. Plus, my supplies are already out, so might as well use it some more. I created a second card using the same materials minus the digi image. I stamped another sentiment from the same ME stamp set onto the negative cut of the DB patterned paper. I pre-treated the paper with EK Success Anti-Static powder. I stamped the image using Versamark ink, then poured  Wow! Gold Rich Pale embossing powder to it and heat set it. I didn't like the gold on the shimmery silver dotted paper. I cannot see the sentiment because of the busy background. So, created a shadow by stamping the sentiment, slightly offsetting it, then heat embossing this using Ranger Copper powder. I am still not happy with the result. So I stamped over the gold impression using Versafine Onyx Black and heat embossed this using black powder. The sentiment did pop out but I have imperfections with the stamping even if I used the Misti Tool to repeatedly stamp the sentiment. To fix this, I used a black Sakura Glaze pen writing over the areas without embossing.


I stamped the same snowflakes around the sentiment using the same pigment ink. I spritz this with WPlus9 shimmer spray. I adhered the pink frame to the card base, then stacked the white cardstocks until the sentiment panel is adhered on the top.


Now, I have two cards all at once, slightly different but using the same supplies and using left over die cuts. Try to look at the scraps of your intended card and create something new from it. Because if you are like me, these scraps will remain scraps for a while until I come up with a project that I can use it. Now, that won't be a problem.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a blessed & brilliant day! Don't forget to join us at Incy Wincy Designs for All That Glitters challenge.

Maria Giselle B.



I am sharing this creation with







1 comment:

  1. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Alphabet Challenge, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete