Thursday, May 5, 2016

Paper Poppy Floral Pin

 

It's band concert season in my sons' school. I am either a chronic procrastinator or I am just absorbed by my hectic schedule that I always create this at the last minute. Really, on the last minute! Last year, I was so on the last minute, that I gave the band teacher her pin flower minutes before the concert, while she is trying to organize 3 band groups. She wasn't able to wear it during the performance because of how hectic it was. I didn't learn from last winter's concert. In fact, I was having second thoughts of making one but big time thanks to Cricut Design Space and Cricut Explore, everything went rather quick. This time, we were able to hand it to her personally hours before the concert. I saw her wearing it but was unable to take a photo of it being worn which is another story of my life but at least, I made it this time.

The Cricut Design Space has ready to make projects which includes the cuts and instructions. You can actually customize it by size or elements but I decided not to.


Isn't the baby with the poppy cute? This is made with felt. I have felt on hand but I don't have the deep cut blade to cut the poppy on felt. I used a purple carstock for the poppy instead. I inked the edges of the flower with Tim Holtz Distress ink in Dusty Concord. I also inked the leaves with Tim Holtz Distress ink in Peeled Paint and Mowed Lawn. I curled the flower and leaves using a stylus, making marks on the leaves, sort of veins. 

I used a glue gun to attach the layers on top of the other. I am no expert when using the glue gun. I seem to end up with a messy string of glue or blob of glue on my project. I changed how the leaves are laid out on the project inspiration.

For the past concerts, I always attach a stem to the flower to make it into a flower corsage. For this project, I decided to hot glue a safety pin. The pin came off the flower as soon as the glue dried. To keep the pin secured, I applied a piece of green washi tape on top of the glue, while it is still hot. 


Thanks for viewing my blog. Have a brilliant day!

Maria Giselle B.

I am submitting this creation to:



1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous! Love the way you created a pansy! Thanks so much for joining us for the FCCB challenge this week! Hugs, DT Karla

    ReplyDelete