Thursday, December 24, 2015

Watercolor Wash Happy Birthday Card


It's my Amang's birthday. This is how I call my father in the Philippines. I was trying to create a card with four boy images to signify each of his grandson. There are only 2 boy stamps in the Mama Elephant In My Heart Stamp. I tried mirror stamping but cannot seem to get it to work, even if I tried penning over the missed spots. So I just gave up the idea and used whatever image I have.

I stamped the boy first. I stamped the Mama Elephant Inline Letters to create a customized sentiment. Then I cut out several Post-It papers to create a mask for the balloon and the ground, making sure I kept all the pieces since the background will all be watercolor washed.

I masked the boy with a Fineline Masking Fluid and allowed this to dry. For the balloon, I used a Hero Arts Tide Pool Ink Dauber. I applied a dot of the die to an acrylic block and picked it up with a wet paint brush. For the sky, I used a Vanilla Ink Dauber. For the ground, I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink Vintage Photo. I removed the mask with my finger, then colored it with Copics. I created a bow using a silver thread. I also used this thread as the balloon string. To accent the sentiment, I used a marker to write on the spaces within the letter just to bring out letters more. I felt the washed background didn't pop out the sentiment as much as I want to.

I also embellished the inside of the card using the other boy image and also stamped a sentiment from the same stamp set.


So, Happy __th Birthday, Amang! Hope you love your card.

Thanks for viewing my blog.

Maria Giselle B.

No comments:

Post a Comment